Ask Lyn: What do I do if I see a potentially hazardous spill?

Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:34am
Ask Lyn
Lyn Crighton, the Executive Director for TWF, will be taking your questions about your land, lakes and overall watershed, and answering them.  Email to submit your own questions! 

Dear Lyn,

The other day I saw something that looked suspicious being poured into the wetland behind my house by an unmarked truck. I have no idea what it is or if it was potentially harmful. Who should I call when I see something like this happening? 

See Something Say Something


Dear See Something Say Something,

Thank you for telling us! If you see something that may affect our water you need to call an authority as soon as you can. It’s much easier to find out if there’s a problem if the right people notified as soon as possible. Contacting us is an option, but we’re only available from 9-4 Monday through Friday.

Locally, the Kos. County Health Department runs a 24/7 Spill and Emergancy Hotline that can be reached at 574-453-8645.  Noble County's Emergency Management Director Michael Newton is also on-call 24 hours a day, and can be reached at 260-347-7378.

Another option is contacting the DNR through their 1-800-TIP-IDNR line that will reach a Conservation Officer 24 hrs a day. They have the authority to handle these issues and the staff to quickly respond.  

One more good place to call is the Indiana Department of Environmental Management’s spill hotline.To report an environmental emergency, call IDEM’s 24-Hour Emergency Spill Line toll free at (888) 233-7745 or (317) 233-7745. Emergency responders are available any time to receive spill reports and provide response assistance.

In any instance that you have questions, The Emergency Response Quick Reference Sheet [PDF] provides additional contact numbers and techniques for evaluating environmental threats.
Keep your eyes open and thank you for being a good steward and watching out for  your lakes! Together, we are making a difference!